The Baltimore City Ravers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baltimore Goes Back Underground

+4
Aleister MacAoidh
Darkzen007
dj.toxic
djraverfox
8 posters

Go down

Baltimore Goes Back Underground Empty Baltimore Goes Back Underground

Post  djraverfox Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:02 pm

So with the fall of our legal venues, the rave scene in Baltimore its obviously going to be on a serious stall as far as "legal parties" go. Sonar is pretty much down for the count, Bourbon is gone, and Black Hole was put on lock down last night.

We are interested to see what you guys think lies ahead for Baltimore's Rave scene. Is it dead? Will we go back to the exlusive underground?

Was this just another step in the "war on drugs" or was there something else here?

Lets hear it folks. Smile
djraverfox
djraverfox
Admin

https://baltimorecityravers.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Baltimore Goes Back Underground Empty Re: Baltimore Goes Back Underground

Post  dj.toxic Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:35 pm

I think we should go back underground and find another place to rave!
dj.toxic
dj.toxic

https://www.facebook.com/DJToxic4Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Darkzen007 Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:47 pm

It could be the war on drugs, I mean, police say bullshit all the time like "I'm tired of seeing young adults in the hospitals for stupid things." I sometimes read the forums that PD's have because I get that bored. Well, with that being said, the underground is our only VIABLE solution anyway so you might as well go with it. No more facebook, hell, I wouldn't even trust putting shit on forums nowadays, the big brother has their ways in when it comes to the web.
Darkzen007
Darkzen007

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000129649008

Back to top Go down

Post  Aleister MacAoidh Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:55 pm

Darkzen007 wrote:It could be the war on drugs, I mean, police say bullshit all the time like "I'm tired of seeing young adults in the hospitals for stupid things." I sometimes read the forums that PD's have because I get that bored. Well, with that being said, the underground is our only VIABLE solution anyway so you might as well go with it. No more facebook, hell, I wouldn't even trust putting shit on forums nowadays, the big brother has their ways in when it comes to the web.

True that. Big brother always watchin'.
Aleister MacAoidh
Aleister MacAoidh

http://www.soundcloud.com/gh057

Back to top Go down

Post  ChooChoo Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:00 am

Wait, wait, wait, wait...
Why are Sonar and Bourbon not options anymore?

But yeah, if the government can't respect people's right to choose what substances they do or do not consume, then the scene HAS to go underground where the right still exists. It might be harder in today's world, but our culture is important, and we should preserve it, whether those in power agree with it or not.

ChooChoo

Back to top Go down

Post  djraverfox Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:34 pm

ChooChoo wrote:Wait, wait, wait, wait...
Why are Sonar and Bourbon not options anymore?

But yeah, if the government can't respect people's right to choose what substances they do or do not consume, then the scene HAS to go underground where the right still exists. It might be harder in today's world, but our culture is important, and we should preserve it, whether those in power agree with it or not.

Sonar's current "owner" is in prison for trafficking weed and god knows what else where Bourbon is being closed down next month because the lease was never renewed.

I believe that what the BCR should aim for is putting on many little shows in some of Baltimore's smaller yet safer venues.

We still have;

The 8x10
Ottobar
Club Orpheus
Hexagon
The Half Hour Club
Dyonisus
Red Maple

just to name a few. I'll begin talking to see people...see where things goes. It may be the way to go as far as keeping these parties legal. As for the undergrounds, Baltimore City might be a little to vunerable considering the police have been cracking down and anything relating to "rave" is gonna spook em.

Its all a matter of re-grouping and fundraising. Getting people re-focused as towards the goal of our scene is concerned. We really hope to accomplish this by establishing our internet radio show. That should be coming in the next few months. Cool
djraverfox
djraverfox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  OOtz Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:46 am

If you're talking about underground as in 'breaking into a warehouse and feeding off the city's electric for a night' underground like the movie 'groove', I'm sorry but that just isn't realistically possible these days UNLESS you know a raver with a warehouse in a remote location or something :/ There's wayyyy too much technology and stuff today that could tip the wrong people off - in seconds at that. Who knows how much even this page has come up in some governmental web crawler?
Now, a possible 'underground' vibe, I've been to a couple house parties that were mostly turned into venues for the night, and other then the field parties, those have been some of the best times I've had. They were large houses, with lots of land around them to block out sound, and people arranged to carpool so there were the least amount of vehicles necessary on or near the property... You can't really charge a lot of money at the door, most national and international headliners aren't down to spin at somebody's house because their agents get all anal about it, and space is limited for lights, dancing, etc; but if you had a select group that knew about it for things once in a while, it can get pretty amazing pretty quickly. Plus no pesky getting kicked out at 2 or 4 am and did I mention the awesomeness of BYO[fill in the blank]...

OOtz

Back to top Go down

Post  ChooChoo Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:30 am

OOtz wrote:There's wayyyy too much technology and stuff today that could tip the wrong people off - in seconds at that. Who knows how much even this page has come up in some governmental web crawler?
Well, that's why most, if not all, of the advertising would have to be done by word of mouth. It would result in MUCH smaller parties, yes, but there's something special about being exclusive. We all know who the ravers are in this area. If one person each tells on raver friend, it could turn into a pretty big party.

But you're right, that does leave us getting no big names spinning. Frankly, I'm fine with that. We've got TONS of local DJs to spin so many genres. House parties can be tricky though, but I say it's worth it. Personally I think it would turn out alright, if people carpooled and whatnot. It would also probably weed out some of those people who show up and refuse to show PLUR.
ChooChoo
ChooChoo

Back to top Go down

Post  djraverfox Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:13 pm

TLDR: Shit shouldnt be on Facebook. Bitches need to keep their mouth shut.

If you're talking about underground as in 'breaking into a warehouse and feeding off the city's electric for a night' underground like the movie 'groove', I'm sorry but that just isn't realistically possible these days UNLESS you know a raver with a warehouse in a remote location or something :/ There's wayyyy too much technology and stuff today that could tip the wrong people off - in seconds at that. Who knows how much even this page has come up in some governmental web crawler?

I agree to the extent of warehouses. The whole prospect is FAR too risky these days, especially in Baltimore where the cops are cracking down on anything rave related and slapping drug-dealing charges on promoters, despite the legality of some of the shows that go on at clubs and private land.

What I mean by underground, however, does not mean warehouse renegade. Those days are unfortunatley over, in my opinion. Underground is more of a political attitude; this is for us, by us, and we seek out the rewards of living in a unique musical culture rather than seek out the potential financial gain and commercial potential that the scene has.

Yes, there is a price tag for a rave party. I also believe the people that risk their time, effort, and money should be compensated for their trouble. But at the end of the night, the underground efficienado will realize he/she helped throw an awesome show and supported an outlet for peoples' souls.

I also give the term "underground" to describe the way shows are advertised and presented to the public. The Rave scene is out there for anybody that seeks it out, but anyone who seeks it out, must do so for the right reasons. The reason why Baltimore's scene as faltered in the way it has is because the benefactors of the scene found our how much money they can make by stuffing a bunch of kids into a dirty building and feeding them drugs for outrageous mark-ups.

Suddenly if felt like everybody was trying to put themselves in a place of position; "I'm on so-and-so's street team" or "I've DJed with this headliner and that headliner and my mixes are the shit" or "I'm with the hottest dance crew on the East Coast." It very quickly to seem like a popularity race because everyone believed that at the top of the social ladder were free drugs, free parties, and good sex.

Suddenly, its no longer a rave.
Welcome to club-culture.

Of course, these are just my personal opinions and observations, but I digress;

The blatant disregard for what we stood for in the beginning has been brought about because we will let anyone who will pay a door fee come into our party because its money in the promoter's pocket. If you make it a bit of a process to make it to a party - I.E: Email us for the secret address, or Go to this show/site to find out more, is purposely making it a bit of a hassle for people to find out what goes on.

Even with this forum, in order to find out exlusive information, you have to join this page and then listen to the forum posts to get intel on parties. Its not like the viral nature of Facebook where if you know ONE person who goes to parties, you are friended by 20 promoters and suddenly your inbox is stuffed constantly with events you will never attend.

Its not that we are trying to deter the police because we are doing something shady (at least not entirely). Its because we want this to be available to only those who REALLY want it and who appreciate what the scene has to offer. Baltimore City Raver parties are not and never will be blatant markets for illegal drugs. I can not deny that its part of the culture, but we don't want to make it all about getting fucked up and doing stupid shit.

This about music, dance, culture, friends, art, and revolution through sound.

Besides, if no one is getting hurt, and no one is being opressed in some way, cops generally don't give a damn what you do on your own land with your own time. What happened at Black Hole was a warrant on a major source; too many greedy people allowing themsevles to be blinded by illegal drug trade.
djraverfox
djraverfox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynic lust Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:09 pm

From what I am reading, it seems the scene is becoming entirely to drug orientated. I mean, by no means, are we as bad as New York, but non the less, drugs are becoming the reason people go to these events at this point. I entered this scene with nothing more than a love for the music and some of the general ideas of plur and things of that nature.

Now, I am not trying to be the voice of reason, or knock drug use, but it is to the point now where the rave scene in Baltimore is more noticed for drug related activities than gangs are. Then you must also realize the types of drug users and dealers this city is use to dealing with; before the surge of increased drug use in the rave scene, the average drug dealer was also violent, the average user, more than like a criminal of some sorts ((outside of the drug use its self)). Look at how Bourbon Street handled situations after rave events; nearly if not exactly the same as they would a more "urban" Baltimore "club" event. And it is mostly because a lot of the Club owners realize how rapid drug use has gotten.

I think to help the scene, all that really needs to be done is lay back on drug use until the heat dies down ((or be like me and not use them)). I am still in this scene for the music, I love it, I love the dancing, and I love the people, but it bothers me to see the direction the scene is going in.

Cynic lust

Back to top Go down

Post  Soular Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:33 am

Baltimore has always had a strong underground scene. I've been DJing and partying in Baltimore since 2003... I've seen a lot of parties come and go from several venues- usually small bars or small clubs. We all know bigger clubs like Sonar and Paradox have good edm parties from time to time, but for smaller crews and productions, venues came and went.

but the underground was always strong.

there have SEVERAL warehouse venues that have thrown incredible parties over the years... and I had the privelage and pleasure of being involved in 5 underground parties that took place at Essex community skypark (2004-2005) all of which were great fun, great vibes, and great turnouts.

I have always felt, as a scene, the Baltimore crowd was close-knit... almost like a family or a tribe. I believe that having a true underground party scene is synonomous with that.

Soular

http://www.soundcloud.com/soulartrax

Back to top Go down

Post  djraverfox Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:48 pm

I have always felt, as a scene, the Baltimore crowd was close-knit... almost like a family or a tribe. I believe that having a true underground party scene is synonomous with that.

True that. Despite all the drama, Baltimore has never felt commercial at least. Its always our friends who own our venues and throw our parties and aside from Starscape,its all propigated from the few people here that want it.
djraverfox
djraverfox
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sku11kid Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Dude we need to take it slow... I think they dont think big brother hates the raves( well some might), but they are more concerned about the drugs that can flow with a party, but with BCR being as small as it is we are kinda under the radar...for now. When it comes time when we throw bigger shows like Springtime Vibes then there is where we get in the gray area. Underground parties are always better than actual venues anyway and they can be more of an adventure than driving to a club and worrying bout someone stealing shit out of a car.

Sku11kid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down